Typical heavy lift and project cargoes are reactors and pressure vessels for refineries and petrochemical plants, components for power generation and distribution, such as boilers, turbines, generators, transformers, etc. Apart from the heavy lifts, the construction of plants requires the transportation of large quantities of project (related) cargoes as break bulk; i.e. boxes, crates, unpacked and skid-mounted units.
Further, typical heavy lift cargoes not related to plant construction projects are rolling stock, such as locomotives, railway equipment, bulldozers, cranes and floating equipment such as dredgers, barges and yachts.
The loads carried are often valuable items, which are crucial to large plants under construction. Meeting project schedules is an important factor, but more important is the cargo arriving in an undamaged condition.
As the nature and the composition of the cargo is more or less unique for each voyage, operational planning and co-ordination requires strict attention to ensure a proper execution of the work.
Our services in this area include:
- Inspection of the cargo at the load and discharge locations
- Advice on and supervision on stowage and sea-fastening
- Issue certificates incl. warranty
- Calculation of forces and required lashings
- Strength calculations for overseas transport (e.g. cranes, large structures)
- Provide route analyses and advice including weather and seastate forecasts
- Towage approvals