The transport of liquid bulk cargo refers mainly to crude oil, fuel oil, chemicals and vegetable oils, but can also mean fruit juice concentrate.
BMT Surveys has a dedicated team of tanker specialists with extensive practical experience in tanker operations from many years at different command levels on board seagoing vessels and in senior management positions at storage terminals. Members of the team have worked for companies ranked amongst the highest in the industry for their safety culture.
Investigation of claims on liquid cargo is completely different from that of solid cargoes. More than for other cargoes, the investigation of claims on liquid bulk cargo requires an analytical approach: not only literally by using special laboratories for sampling and analysing but also figuratively by checking the vast amount of records made by the crew during pre-loading and transportation.
The mostly toxic atmosphere in cargo tanks and hazardous nature of the cargo itself does not always allow an immediate visual inspection of tanks.
Special attention is required to, for instance, tank cleaning, the effects of the tank coating and, not least, the individual properties of the more than 2,000 different types of chemicals transported by sea.
Our services in this area include:
- Incident investigation
- Investigations into cause and extent of cargo claim / loss
- Investigation into quality, quantity and condition disputes
- Advice on transport and storage requirements
- Supervision and advice on sampling, testing and analyses
- Advice on tank cleaning and inspection
- Advice on tank coating and corrosion issues
- Supervising operations (ship to shore / ship to ship)
- Expert witness
- Fire and explosion investigation
- Advice on spills and clean-up
- Bunker quality disputes
- Environmental impact studies